1. Alterna Caviar Working Hair Spray | 2. Aveda texture tonic | 3. Aveda shampure Dry Shampoo | 4. Aveda smooth infusion style-prep smoother | 5. Kerastase Nectar Thermique | 6. Misel Boar Bristle Hair Brush | 7. Fromm 1907 Hot Paddle Brush | 8. Conair 1 Inch Travel Curling Iron | 9. MiroPure 1 1/2 Inch Curling Iron | 10. Alterna Caviar Repair Multi-Vitamin Heat Protection Spray | 11. Aveda shampure Conditioner | 12. Pantene Repair & Protect Shampoo & Conditioner | 13. Aveda blue malva Shampoo | 14. artnaturals Argan oil | 15, Conair Travel Dryer | 16. T3 Cura Luxe Professional Ionic Hair Dryer
In the last year I stepped up my haircare and styling game in a few big ways. 1) I got extensions for the first time. I know I know I know… I owe you guys a post on this topic and I promise it’s coming! I’m going to try my best to get that up sometime in February. 2) I stepped out of my 4+ year comfort zone of only styling my hair in wavy curls using a 1 inch curling iron. 3) I finally learned how to do a top knot and taught myself a few different braids. 4) I washed my hair no more than twice a week. 5) I stopped heat styling my hair on a daily basis.
I’ll be totally honest. I don’t enjoy taking care of my hair or styling it. The only exception to this is braiding. Since getting extensions I’ve really fallen in love with braiding. Other than that, anything I do that’s hair-related is solely because I have to, not because I find it relaxing or fun. I’m not particularly passionate about trying new haircare products in the way I am with skincare, but I do care deeply about how my hair looks and feel like it’s a big part of who I am (visually at least…) If that makes sense?
‘Less is more’ is my mentally with haircare. The less products, tools, washes, heat styling– THE BETTER. You’ll see in my mini reviews below that I really only use a small handful of brands. Once I find haircare products I love, I tend to stick with them and usually one bottle of product will last me for months because of how infrequently I try to wash and style my hair.
1. Alterna Caviar Working Hair Spray | This is a very good medium hold hair spray. It keeps top knots, braids and waves in place without leaving your hair feeling nasty or crunchy.
2. Aveda texture tonic | I use this spray when I’m going for loose, naturally undone waves. I’ll curl my hair like normal, but instead of finishing with hairspray, I’ll pull the curls out with fingers and then spray this for texture. It gives strands that ‘piecey’ boho effect. I used it on my hair in this post here!
3. Aveda shampure Dry Shampoo | I’m not a big fan of dry shampoo (I just hate the feeling of product in my hair) but if I do use it, this is the one I like. It’s non-aerosol and the product comes out more as a really light mist so you really can control how much you’re using on your hair. The formula uses 99% natural ingredients, absorbs oil and has a really nice light scent (not too overpowering.)
4. Aveda smooth infusion style-prep smoother | This is my go-to leave in smoothing cream after washing my hair. It defends hair against humidity and the elements, so it’s great especially if your hair acts like it has a mind of it’s own 😛 I like to apply about a nickel-sized drop through my mane to calm frizz and tame my natural waves as my hair air dries.
5. Kerastase Nectar Thermique Blow Dry Cream | Whenever I know I’m going to be using some serious heat on my hair post-showering, this is the blow dry cream I use. It’s actually a multi-functional product and does a number of great things for your hair like protect it from heat, nourish the hair fiber similar to a treatment, smooth frizz and add shine.
6. Misel Boar Bristle Hair Brush | I purchased this boar bristle brush specifically for help with detangling. To maintain the health and strength of your hair you have to be gentle when brushing, especially when you have extensions. I love having extensions, but more hair = more potential knots and tangles. This brush was really inexpensive, does a great job detangling stubborn knots and helps prevent breakage.
7. Fromm 1907 Hot Paddle Brush | I don’t have a lot of patience when it comes to blow drying my own hair and I most days I let me hair air dry, but when I do give myself a blow out this is the brush I always use. The paddle is lined with aluminum to retain heat and smooth hair similar to if you were using a flat iron. I love how this brush helps cut down blow drying time and just leaves my hair feeling really silky and voluminous.
8. Conair 1 Inch Travel Curling Iron | I originally purchased this inexpensive curling iron to use when I travel, but I ended up loving it so much that I regularly reach for it at home. It’s lightweight, dual voltage (so you can use in any country) and the ceramic barrel helps to reduce frizz.
9. MiroPure 1 1/2 Inch Curling Iron | For only $34 this is an awesome curling iron! After getting my extensions, I felt like my 1 inch iron was giving my hair a skinny sausage curl effect so I decided to try one with a larger barrel and hello loose natural waves! This one handles so well and heats up in less than a minute. I love the LCD panel where you can select the exact heat you want in 20 degree increments. The ceramic barrel also helps reduce frizz and static!
10. Alterna Caviar Repair Multi-Vitamin Heat Protection Spray | This heat protectant not only protects your hair when using hot tools, but it also helps repair damage and seal the surface of hair. After applying the spray to your stands, you can use heat up to 450 degrees! I like this spray because it doesn’t leave my hair feeling “wet” after I use it and there’s no wait time between applying it and getting to work with my curling iron.
11. Aveda shampure Conditioner | One of my favorite Aveda conditioners! The formula is 98% natural, silicone-free and leaves hair feeling weightless and nourished. Like all Aveda products it also smells incredible!
12. Pantene Repair & Protect Shampoo & Conditioner | Over the last year I’ve really fallen back in love with Pantene products, especially since getting extensions. Not only is my hair longer when I have them in, but it’s soooo much thicker. When I first got them and would go to wash my hair, I found that a lot of conditioners I’d previously used were not up to the job of moisturizing and detangling my new mane. I’d get out of the shower and my hair would just be a matted mess. When I participated in the Pantene 14-Day challenge last year I tested this shampoo & conditioner combo and fell in love with the lather! The conditioner actually detangles my hair and leaves it feeling superrrrr silky.
13. Aveda blue malva Shampoo | The best shampoo for blondes with color-treated hair! My hair has a tendency to get brassy, especially if it’s been 4+ weeks since I’ve had my highlights done. I only wash my hair 1-2x per week, so I really need a shampoo that can help neutralize those nasty orange tones and amplify between my color appointments. It smells amazing too!
14. artnaturals Argan oil | This is pure Moroccan organic argan oil, plain and simple. If you’re looking for a multi-use product this is great because you can use it on your hair AND skin. Argan oil has a range of benefits, but when applied to hair it will moisturize, reduce frizz and add healthy shine to your strands. I’ll just take a few drops in my hands and then run my fingers through my damp hair after showering as a leave-in treatment. Sometimes I even use it in place of a body lotion!
15. Conair Travel Dryer | You may remember I posted about this travel dryer on Instagram before the holidays! It’s compact, incredibly affordable and has dual voltage so you don’t have to worry about frying it when you plug it into an outlet in a foreign country.
16. T3 Cura Luxe Professional Ionic Hair Dryer | I try to let my hair air dry as often as possible, but when I do blow dry it this is the dryer I always use at home. It’s powerful, lightweight and has an sensor that will automatically shut off the dryer once you set it down/take your hand off the handle. If you’re like me and always have to put your dryer down to readjust how you’re holding your brush, this feature is amazing because I don’t have to constantly be turning my dryer on and off.
Don’t forget to check out my first two Best Of Beauty Guides!